Thursday 8 March 2012

Evaluation first 6+1 weeks



Disadvantage
Despite all the disadvantages I’ve had to deal with I feel that I’ve achieved more than I thought was possible.  I feel a lot more confident in using 3DS Max now, which is quite an achievement as (like most in the class) I’ve never used 3ds max before I started.  As I’ve never used a software as complex as 3DS Max, I needed to keep up and attend all lectures and tutorials, which is another disadvantage I had to deal with.  The other disadvantage I had to deal with is the fact that my condition prevents me from using all the functions available on 3DS Max such as the use of the scroll or the right click on the mouse which makes me twice as slow as everyone else.  As I was falling behind every week I adopted the ‘waterfall model’ approach whereby I kept moving forward, which consequently meant that I couldn’t apply the details needed especially the first and third model.  The details includes materials and lighting.

The best model
My best model is obviously the glider as I’ve almost done it to perfection.  The pulley that I did was the start of me being more confidence in using 3DS Max.  I felt that I needed to focus all my focus, time and energy on this model as the assignment is based around da Vinci’s ‘machines’.  The thing that is preventing the glider from being perfect is that its missing the texture i.e. no use of the mapping technique.  The other thing is the wings look a different colour (black and red), again had I’ve applied the texture   

The worse model(s)
The other two were not so good.  The building is not even complete; there are loads of things missing such as windows, statue at the top of the dome, and texture.  The fact that it was my first model and that I was not at all confidence in using the software played a significant part.  What also played a part is the fact that the target weld wouldn’t work and that was when I adopted the waterfall model.  The third model was not that good either as I was rushed due to the deadline that was looming.  I would think that the third model needs more work than the building because the camera will be focusing on the glider and thus the person.  It would have been better had I’ve done the person first due to the restrictions I put on it in terms of its size.


No comments:

Post a Comment