Sunday 4 March 2012

fruit bowl


INTRODUCTION
In this tutorial we were asked to work with organic shapes such as an apple.   We were taught about how the soft selection works and how it will affect the whole of the shape depending on how big the falloff number is.  The greater the number, the greater the affect on the object.

PROBLEMS
Due to the fact that my right click is not working properly for some unknown reason, I had to find another way of converting the shapes to editable poly.  The picture below is an example on how the right click gives me trouble:  


The alternative way to turn to the polygon mode is by selecting ‘modify’ tab, followed by ‘edit poly’ from the modify list

HOW IT WAS CREATED

Apple 


This is my final design on the apple.  As you can see it does not really look like an apple as I’ve dented the areas too much.  It might have looked more like an apple had I smoothened it from the modifier list.

Banana
 
In the same tutorial we were asked to create a banana.  I started off with a cylinder with sides like so:

 
I then converted it to editable poly so that I could mould it into a banana and this is the best i could come up with:


As you can tell is not really looking like the banana, so i explored a quicker way to smooth out the edges and i came up with turbo smooth from the modifier list, the picture below is the outcome:


Bowl

I then turned my attention to creating a bowl.  I started off with a sphere which was turned to editable poly, and i used soft selection but I was not sure how how much to set the falloff, until i realised that i needed half of  the sphere to be influence by the one polygon/vertex that i’ll be dragging down.  So as you  can see it was set to 45:


I then dragged the one poly down and this is the outcome. 


It does not really look like a bowl.  The staged required me to be in edged faces, and the unchecked of the soft selection, to click on the line that was on the edge mode and click on loop as the picture below shows. 


I then had to drag these out in order to make it look like a bowl.  The picture below is the final product of the fruit bowl apart from not being aligned properly.  I used the import>merge from the application to bring them all together as they were all created in different files.


 Align

As you can see the both fruits are not aligned with the bowl.  I tried to align it with the align selection tool but that proved to be confusing and ultimately a failure.

 
I tried to align them by inputting numbers into the xyz at the bottom like so:


But that didn’t work either as i later realised i had to know the position of the polygon of the object I was trying to align it with, which in this case was the bottom of the bowl.  Ultimately the visual alignment was the best way to go for me although it is a fairly long process.

This is my final outcome of the fruit bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment